Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What Actually Happens When You Hit Those StumbleUpon Buttons


Have you ever wondered what is going on in the backend when you click on that tempting little blue and green StumbleUpon button in your toolbar? Chief architect and co-founder Garrett Camp lets on to the SU algorithm and hints at a couple of upcoming changes. StumbleUpon is all about site discovery. I used to click on the “Stumble!” button and figured it would return me some random site based on the categories I said I was interested in. But then I noticed that the more I used it, better sites were being sent my way. This is because it’s not actually random, but rather sites are served up based on a series of processes that go on within the StumbleUpon Recommendation Engine.

read more | digg story

No comments: